I’m just one more person who is trying to figure it all out. Simple life, I love routine.
Things that make me who I am:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Anthropology, Cum Laude
- This degree sounds fancy enough but as the first in my family to attend college, I had no idea how the whole college thing worked and therefore signed up for a major that I enjoyed instead of one I could use after graduation. It wasn’t until my junior year that I realized my ‘mistake’ and was deep enough into the program that I couldn’t switch to something like business and commit myself to thousands more in student loans. I focused on physical anthropology which is the study of primate societies, anatomy, and evolution among other interesting biological and statistical aspects of humans and culture.
- Divorced, mother of 1 strong-willed middle school aged daughter… enough said.
- Subsequently, engaged to a wonderful man I’ve been with for 7 years. We don’t live together, yet. I’m comfortable with how things are right now, sort of.
- Pets: 3 guinea pigs and I adopted a dog, my first ever, in January of 2017.
- Professionally speaking, I have done all kinds of things to make ends meet since I was a teenager:
- Playground/Wading Pool/Winter Sports supervisor for the local city park system, 4 years.
- Delivered the New York Times newspaper during the night to help pay for college, 2 or so years (it’s kind of a blur since I was sleep deprived.)
- Cleaned horse stalls at a racehorse breeding farm and helped with the general daily care of the mares and foals, 3 or so years (also a blur since I did this at nearly the same time as the newspaper gig.)
- Mowed grass at a Christmas tree farm, 1 summer.
- Veterinary Technician at a small animal vet clinic, 3 months because the vet who owned it was nuts.
- Self-employed co-owner of a backyard nature store, 9 years. Started the business with my aunt, this was her dream. She was the money behind it and I was the sweat-equity partner doing a lot of the work. We started by selling out of the trunk of our cars, built an ecommerce site, and eventually opened a brick and mortar storefront. I had to step away when the economy caused gas to be $4/gallon, I had an infant to care for, and a marriage that crumbled. My aunt was also diagnosed with cancer and eventually passed away.
- Tickets/Customer Service at a local ski resort, 4 years. Loved the small group of women I worked with and miss them all every day.
- Bookkeeper, Payroll Specialist at a small public accounting firm, 8 years 2 months. My first real job with my own office and desk. I did everything at this place: Receptionist, Admin, Bookkeeper, Payroll, Financial Statements, Accounting stuff I had no business doing at my pay rate or education level, taxes (lots of taxes – personal, business, sales, payroll……..etc), and so many other things I couldn’t possibly list them all. I was exhausted, stressed, and completely burned out. I left abruptly, January 2017, on a Thursday at 12:30pm never to return. Long story.
- Merchandising, part-time at a big retailer…. I just got hired, February 2017, and I can’t wait to see where this position takes me. It will be good to be on my feet all day again and work with happy people. HUGE pay cut, should make things ‘interesting’.
- Hiking, backpacking, camping, outside stuff!
- Personal finance. I keep track of everything with Quicken and I love it. Dream job: using Quicken to keep track of other individuals’ personal worlds and help them understand where their money goes.
- Reading. I was never much of a reader while growing up but I’m really trying to be one now.